The City of Mississauga’s Budget Committee considered new and increased fees and charges for 2020 related to: Transit Fares; Fire and Emergency Services; Planning; Library; Culture programs and rental rates; Transportation and Works; Recreation programs and rental rates; Parks, Forestry and Environment and General Fees and Charges. These revenue sources will help offset the cost of delivering these services.
A number of proposed changes are highlighted in the Budget Committee Reports including:
- MiWay Cash Fare (Single Adult) revised to encourage Presto migration from $3.75 to $4.00 representing an increase of $0.25 or 6.7 per cent. The Presto fare remains at $3.10.
- Fire: Fees charged for motor vehicle collisions and other specialty calls based on the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) fee schedule. The MTO raised their billable rates by 2.5 per cent. Fees for those incidents have been adjusted to reflect the increase.
- Animal Services: Dog/Puppy & Cat/Kitten Adoption Fee is moving to a flat fees of $243.25 dog / puppy adoption, $165.25 kitten adoption (0-3 years) and $81 cat adoption (3-7 years) to simplify the process.
Additional revenue of approximately $1.8 million is expected from the increases and new fees as outlined in the Oct 2, 2019 Budget Committee reports. These will alleviate some pressures on the property tax rate in 2020.
The proposed fees and charges will be presented at a Council meeting for approval on October 9, 2019.
All Budget Committee and Council meetings are open to the public. The next Budget Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, November 18, 2019. The full schedule of meetings is available online at Council and Committees Calendar Listings.
Become familiar with the City’s 2020 Budget and Business Plan
Look through the City’s preliminary 2020 Budget and Business Plan and understand why these documents play an important role in shaping our city. Residents can learn more by:
• Visiting mississauga.ca/budget and see what you get for your tax dollars
• Reading an overview of the 2020 preliminary Business Plan & Budget that was presented to the Budget Committee on June 26, 2019
• Watching or attending Budget Committee deliberations scheduled for November 18, 19, 25, 26 and 27 (Budget Committee meeting schedules are subject to change) Similar to the recent change to Council and General Committee meetings, Budget Committee meetings are to start at 9:30 a.m. beginning November 18, 2019.